Frequently Asked General Questions (FAQ)
1. WHAT IS A SELF-PACED MOOC?
An instructor-paced MOOC is a Massive Online Open Course, which is characterized by having content that unlocks weekly. The entire content will be visible after a period that ranges between 4 and 7 weeks, that is, the exact amount of time that takes to complete the course.
This is very different from courses that have a self-paced modality, whose content is available completely from the beginning and during a period that fluctuates between 3 and 9 months.
In an instructor-paced MOOC, it is recommended that participants register before the course begins, as it is designed for participants to move forward as content is unlocked.
2. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TAKING THE COURSE IN THE AUDIT MODE VERSUS THE VERIFIED MODE?
- Audit track: This option allows you free access to the course materials for a limited time, in this case for 10 weeks from the date of your enrollment (check course dates). However, you will not be able to carry out the evaluated activities or obtain a certificate at the end of the course.
- Verified track: You will have unlimited access to all the course content, including the evaluated activities. If you pass the course with 65%, in addition to the certificate, you will receive an additional digital badge that will allow you to transform the way you share your academic and professional achievements.
3. How can I request financial aid to get a certificate and digital badge?
1. IDBx program help: If you complete 80% of the course and meet certain requirements related to the specific training needs or access to resources of certain IDB audiences, you will be able to obtain your IDBx scholarship to achieve your verified certificate and digital badge.
2. edX aid: EdX has financial assistance for students who need it. If you opt for this alternative, you can download the tutorial with the steps to obtain the verified certificate.
4. HOW LONG WILL I HAVE ACCESS TO THE COURSE?
If you registered under the "verified" mode, you will have access indefinitely. Even after the course ends, you can still access the platform and review the study materials.
If you registered under the "audit" mode, keep in mind that the expected duration of the course will be used for courses taught as self-paced. For example, if the course is open for 6 weeks, but the estimated duration to see all the content is 5 weeks, then you will have 5 weeks of access from your registration date.
Throughout the course, you will be informed of when your access expires. Take the opportunity to review or download the materials of your interest before that day.
Remember to check the course dates to see the deadlines.
5. IF I INITIALLY CHOSE TO ‘AUDIT’ THE COURSE, CAN I UPGRADE IT TO ‘VERIFIED’ AFTERWARDS?
Yes, you have until November 24, 2021, at 11:59 pm, Washington D.C. time to make the change.
6. HOW DO I GET A CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION?
Accessing the course training content is totally free. However, in order to obtain a certificate of completion, you must be registered under the "verified" track and comply with the following requirements:
- Achieve a final grade of 65% or more.
- Pay the corresponding fee for each course.
- Perform the edX identity verification process correctly, following the instructions in this guide.
7. WHEN AND WHERE WILL MY CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION BE AVAILABLE?
If you achieved the minimum required score (65/100 points), paid the course fee, and completed the identity verification process, you can download your certificate from your edX account ("Dashboard" section) immediately. Keep in mind that no certificate of any kind will be sent to your home or email.
Students who earn the certificate in this course will also receive this digital badge. For all courses in this year 2021, the IDBx team will send the digital badges in bulk from March 2022.
8. WHAT IS THE DEADLINE TO COMPLETE THE COURSEWORK?
If you signed up for the Assistant mode, you can complete it for 5 weeks from the day of your registration (for more detailed information, check your course dates.
If you enrolled in the verified certificate mode, you must complete the activities and answer the questionnaires no later than December 3, 2021, at 23:59, Washington DC time, (December 4, 2021, at 04:59 UTC time) date on which the course closes. The edX platform will show you in the dates tab a suggested course progress schedule to help you plan and control the pace of your studies.
You can change the due dates by clicking the button "Change due dates" or "Shift due dates".
9. CAN I CHANGE MY ANSWER TO A QUESTION FROM THE QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER SUBMITTING IT?
You have two opportunities to answer the questions on the evaluation questionnaires.
10. IN SOME COURSES, WHY DOES AN IMAGE OF A PEN AND NOTEBOOK APPEAR NEAR THE TOPICS MENU ON THE LEFT COLUMN OF THE SCREEN?
It means that this subsection contains at least one evaluation. You may answer all the questions in the course until December 03, 2021, at 11:59 pm, Washington D.C. time; the date the course will end.
10. WILL I GET A REFUND IF I CHANGE MY MIND AFTER PAYING FOR A VERIFIED CERTIFICATE?
To ask for a refund, you must write directly to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining your case. Do not forget to include the payment reference number (order number) and please do not provide information about the card used for the transaction.