Frequently Asked Questions
1) When will course content be released? When are the assignments due?
Introduction to Data Wise is a self-paced course with on-demand certificates. All course content is available now.
2) How do I earn a certificate?
This course is freely accessible to all. Learners can choose to audit the course for free or earn a Verified Certificate. (Learn more about edX Verified Certificates.) The price for the Verified Certificate is $70. You must get a grade of 75% or higher to earn a certificate.
The experience in the course is the same, regardless of whether you audit or pursue a Verified Certificate: you can watch all the videos, participate in all the discussions, do all the self assessments and checks for understanding, access all the resources, and view a page that shows progress toward passing the course.
3) Can I get a certificate without paying?
If you are interested in a Verified Certificate, but are not eligible for the ConnectED Initiative, you can apply for financial assistance from edX.
4) I have signed up for a Verified Certificate. When will I receive my certificate?
As soon as you complete enough of the course to receive a passing grade (75%), you can generate your own certificate. To find out if you are eligible for a certificate, click on the "Progress" tab. If you have passed, you will see a "Request Certificate" button. To learn more, you can read the edX documentation for on-demand certificates.
5) Will the actual time for the course be sent to us based on where we live (time zone)?
There are no actual times during which you have to "attend" the sections of the course. All course content is available in the Course section.
6) What is Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)?
Because we have a global audience, this course uses UTC. The current UTC date and time can be found here:
7) Can I edit my response on an assignment after I submit it?
No. Once you submit your response it is recorded in the system. You can "save" a self-assessment response and return to submit it later. You also have three attempts with each multiple choice question.
8) What is the little pen and checkbox next to the item on the left-hand menu?
It means that the section contains an assessment that will contribute to your overall grade for the course.
9) Why doesn't my progress bar show up on my progress page, even after I've answered the questions?
Make sure you selected an answer for ALL the questions on the page AND click the "check" button. Your progress is not recorded until you answer all the questions and hit "check." If you click the "save" button, your answers will be saved for later and you can return to them, but you don't need to save your answers in order for them to be graded.