College Writing 2x.1, Principles of Written English
Maggie Sokolik, Ph.D., Instructor
Follow me on Twitter: @maggiesokolik, we're using the hashtag #cwp2x for this course.
You can also follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maggie-Sokolik/548248971930234
Join our announcements-only class Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CWP2X/
This course is an introductory level university course designed for learners of English. It will cover issues of grammar, written structure, editing, revising, and paragraph development. There are several quizzes built into the course, as well as a required final essay.
Textbooks are not required. There are three recommended eBooks.
|A note about piracy of books: The course and its material are offered for free, and we encourage you to take advantage of all the resources. However, we do not support the theft of copyrighted material. Offering pirated material in the course will result in such offers being deleted. Continued violations of this rule could result in being banned from the course. Don't pirate! Writers and publishers are workers, too, and deserve to be paid for their work.|
1. Principles of Written English 1, by Maggie Sokolik, Wayzgoose Press
This workbook was written specifically for this course. It contains excerpts of the course material as well as extra writing materials. It is being provided for a low price of $ 2.99 US, by Wayzgoose Press.
Principles of Written English 1, http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/374174
Sometimes online stores such as Amazon charge an international surcharge if you are not in the USA. This is why we recommend Smashwords.com, which does not charge an extra fee. You can also use PayPal if you don't have a credit card, or download your books in different formats.
It is also available at:
You need Kindle software to read this book, which is available: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=sv_kstore_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771
Kobo requires special e-reader software. It is available at their website.
2. 50 Ways to Practice Writing, by Dorothy Zemach, Wayzgoose Press
This very low-cost ebook ($0.99 US) gives you even more practice in writing.
or at Smashwords.com, http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332495
Also available at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Ways-Practice-Writing-ebook/dp/B00DREJGLA/
3. Pearson Writer, Pearson Higher Education
Pearson Writer is a set of integrated writing tools, including grammar references, research aids, and writing editors, to help you with every aspect of your writing. They have created a website especially for this course. Their materials are available on a subscription basis, and the price varies with the length of time you want to access the materials.
You can find our course's Pearson website at: http://www.pearsoncustom.com/ca/ucberkeley_writing/.
This course requires that you score 50% or higher as an average of all assignments that are marked as homework. You know these by the clock icon. 60% of your grade is for homework, and your two lowest scores are dropped automatically. The other 40% are for your essay--10% for your draft and 30% for your final paper.
(Even if you miss some assignments, as long as your average is 50%, you can get a certificate.)
You need to finish the homework assignments by the date due to get credit, although there is an 8-hour late period during which you can submit your work.
Additional homework does not count towards your point total. This is for those who have the time to do extra work.
If you pass the course, you will receive a certificate of completion. Your certificate will be delivered online through edx.org. So be sure to check your email in the weeks following the final grading – you will be able to download and print your certificate.
More information about policies is found at the student FAQ: https://www.edx.org/student-faq
Week 1 - Grammar Review
· Welcome to the course
· Why grammar terminology matters
· Parts of speech/parts of writing
· Parts of the sentence
Week 2 - Sentences and Paragraphs
· Review of parts of the sentence
· Writing effective sentences
· Introduction to the paragraph
· Parts of the paragraph
· Choosing an essay topic
Week 3 - Thesis Statements
· What is a thesis statement?
· Finding the argument
· Academic writing
· Beginning your first draft
Week 4 - The Essay
· Strategies for writing longer essays
· Outlining techniques
· Finding sources of information
· Developing your first essay
A first draft of the essay is due this week.
Week 5 - Revision Practices
· Revising your draft
· Creating strong introductions and conclusions
· Proofreading and editing
· Review of Weeks 1-5, Preview of Part 2
A final draft of your final paper is due this week.